The answer is given visually by FFunction:
FFunction is a Montréal-based company specializing in user interfaces and data visualization.
In an interview with ReadWrite FF Function gives a short description of what data visualisation should do. It reminds us a lot of the long discussions in official statistics:
‘Visualization should reveal hidden patterns and trends within the data. It should explore a topic, help make a discovery or tell a story. Whatever the goal, you have to turn the data into information that people can understand.’
And these are the elements of the graph:
- Fields: Design, Communication, Information and their mix: Visual Communication, Data journalism, User Interface
- Raw elements: Look & Feel, Idea, Data
- Disciplines: Journalism, Information Architecture, Typography
- Process elements: Visual Design, Objective, Dataset
- Outputs: Layout, Story, Report, Data Analysis, Dashboard, Interface
- Final result: Form, Concept, Knowledge
- Core competencies: Readability, Logic, Usability
- Core values: Simplicity, Informativeness, Relevance.